QU members have been involved in providing quilts for use within the Newborn Intensive Care Unit (NICU) of Tallahassee Memorial Hospital since 1996. This project started through contests held by Wal-Mart where small quilts were designed, displayed at Wal-Mart and then donated to Tallahassee Memorial Hospital. The small size of the quilts made it an easy project to continue as a guild philanthropic venture due to the generosity of our members wanting to provide a community service.
These quilts are used within the unit and are laundered in the hospital laundry, which is a harsher laundering process than that in family homes. Therefore, they must be durable as well as attractive. This is a good project to practice machine quilting techniques… it’s small, portable, and quick to finish.
Your participation in this worthwhile community project would be very welcome. Here are just a few guidelines that you should be aware of:
- Neonatal Quilts should be 26″ x 24″ finished (as of October 2023).
- Isolette Covers should be 40″ x 60″ finished (as of October 2023).
- For more complete instructions please see the Neonatal quilt section on the QU Philanthropy Page.
- Bring your finished quilt to any Quilters Unlimited meeting.
- Feel free to make more than one quilt!
The babies of the NICU at Tallahassee Memorial Hospital, and their families, thank you for caring.